Saturday 18th May 2019, 10am – 4pm
Tutors: Sue Smith + Ally Trelfer
£25 members / £30 non-members
Suitable for: All levels
We will begin by making a simple journal cover and complete it with various pages showing the different possibilities of fold, pockets and cut-outs. These will be assembled into signatures and sewn into the cover.
We will then look at some of the many different lettering styles for use within journals and develop a variety of samples for later reference. Be prepared to break some rules!
You will need:
- 2 x sheets of A4 card (approx 300 gms)
- A4 or A3 computer paper 80 – 100 gms. You will need approx 25 sheets for the pages of the book. An A4 or A3 cheap sketchpad would do but the same number of sheets will be needed. (half the number needed if the size is A3)
- More cartridge paper, computer paper or layout for lettering exercises
- Cutting mat, steel rule and sharp knife
- PVA and spreader
- Awl or Hole punch
- Bone folder
- Thread and Needle – embroidery or linen – must be strong.
- Old magazine
- Selection of calligraphy pens – pointed, cola, broad edged, automatic…
- Gel pens, fine liners, markers, roller ball, biro – all one dark colour or black
- Pointed brush – synthetic with sharp point for lettering – water brushes are good
- ink/ gouache
- Water pot, palette, brushes
- Kitchen roll
- AND LUNCH!